Disclaimer

All work done on this blog is fan translations. The original content belongs to the original owner. Please support the original owners/authors by purchasing their work. Please do not take anything from this site without the approval of the blog authors.

Three Combs: Chapter 39.1

[Previous][Table of Contents][Next]

The next day. 

Jiang Tiao would return to the hotel and take the crew bus to Hengdian every day, never slacking and never late just because she is living far.

In order to catch up with the shooting progress, Yuan Yang pushed away many of his other activities for the month and personally work as the group supervisor on set.

Therefore, it is not surprising to see Master every day.

Jiang Tiao came very early today so there are only a few people on the bus yet. Yuan Yang sat alone in the last row by the window.

He is looking outside, half his face is shrouded with the morning light.

Jiang Tiao carried her cosmetic case and sat next to him. Yuan Yang looked back and smiled, “Morning.”

Jiang Tiao put the box by her feet and looked at him, “Morning. You have been coming to set every day lately.”

“I’m waiting for the verdict.” Yuan Yang casually replied.

Jiang Tiao knows what he is talking about. She awkwardly rubbed her nose unable to say anything.

Yuan Yang crossed his legs and folded his hands on top of his lap, “Do you have an answer in your heart?”

Jiang Tiao sucked in her nose, “Didn’t you give me a month to consider?”

Yuan Yang raised his lips, “Don’t you have a side you are leaning toward?”

“I’m…..not sure.” Jiang Tiao hesitated.

Yuan Yang snorted as if he seemed to care less, “Yesterday, you were so angry and refused to leave. Today it’s…..I’m not sure.

He pitched his voice, like a father talking to his little daughter, filled with love.

“Sigh…..married daughters are like spilled water.”

There is a flock of birds flying outside the window. Yuan Yang lamented, “You don’t need a month to decide, you’ll probably decide in less time than that.

There are too many dilemmas in life. Jiang Tiao wrung her hand and argued, “Master, I am still thinking.”

Yuan Yang turned and met her eyes, “I can’t keep you. Even if there was no external factor, you all have to go. You, Sun Qing, and all those beginners will, one day, have to leave.”

“Why?” Jiang Tiao never thought there would be a day she would leave the studio.

“Except for teachers and students who end up developing a romantic relationship, have you seen any teacher and student who stay together forever without developing a rivalry?” Yuan Yang brushes his finger on the window, “Makeup isn’t like martial arts where you can write it down and pass it down for future generations to study. There is no single way of doing it. There are a thousand makeup artists with thousands of different aesthetics. My presence is purely to help you all hone your skills.”

Jiang Tiao, “....”

Yuan Yang continued, “I was twenty-six when I became a teacher, one year young than you are now. I sold the house I inherited from my dad to set up my own studio which is today’s Shape studio. Looking for an office, decorations, recruitment, they all left me penniless.”

His eyes glazed over as he looked back at the past, “But that is the most enjoyable and memorable experience in my life. There was no sweetness after all the bitterness passed nor was there any recognition or success. However, I was very satisfied. I was able to gain love and even met your….master-in-law……?” He paused and thought, “Or should it be Mr. Master?”

“Master’s husband? Make it sound cuter, Shi Huhu*.” Jiang Tiao suggested.

T/N: 師父夫 (shifu fu) means master’s husband. Jiang Tiao suggested Shi Huhu which phonetically sounds similar to shifu fu and rolls off the tongue easily.

“Forget it, let’s just call him master-in-law instead,” Yuan Yang laughed, “He also has no money, working in a small company doing international trade. The business is not good and the commission is low. But he would squeeze out 100 yuan for me to buy a cup of noodles. He is like that. Even if there is nothing in his wallet, he would pull out a few crumpled bills from his pocket and tell me, don’t starve to death, he doesn’t want to be a widower.”

“And then?” Jiang Tiao attentively listened.

“So what if there is no money, I still have my skills. I didn’t lose hope and later, my studio got better and better. I started to receive more clients and my studio got bigger. I picked up many activities, went on TV programs, and became a regular on a few shows. Anyway, I became busier and busier that I don’t have any time for my personal life…..”

Jiang Tiao suddenly doesn’t want him to continue. She knows what is going to happen.

Yuan Yang had no intention of stopping, “You can guess what happened next. He and I broke up. It’s been twenty years since we broke up but I can recognize him as your only master-in-law. This person sure is strange. During my lowest point, no matter how hard I try, he would never leave. But when I started going up and earning money, he left without turning back.”

“Master….” Jiang Tiao doesn’t know how to comfort him. She can only grab his arm and gently squeeze.

“Do you know why? I gave him too little time. The less time two people spend together, all the feelings that are cultivated together would be gone. Later, I dated a few more people but none is better than him. It may be that I am mentally unable to let go. I always think, because I am famous now, they must be scheming against me.”

“......Maybe not, maybe they are sincere.”

“Yes, maybe not. But I can’t control what I think. The reason I’m telling you this is not to brainwash you or tell you what to do. I just want to tell you it is not easy having someone you really like. Especially at present when you don’t have anything good to provide for him. He doesn’t have any ulterior motives except to just love you and be good to you. This is not easy. ”

Jiang Tiao nodded and agreed, “Yes.”

“I lost this person because of my career. I don’t want to see you following in my footsteps. You say you like to follow me. I am happy but you two will have no time to spend together and in the end, it would be hard to build your relationship. What’s more, your occupation is just right. You don’t have to give up your job to spend more time together.” Yuan Yang pushed away her hand, “Move, I don’t want to see you. Looking at you makes me jealous.”

“Master….” She took both her hands and wrapped it around his arm, unwilling to let go.

Yuan Yang sighed, “Don’t think about it. Try it and see what you think. We’re working in the same industry so there will be more opportunities to see me. Although that kid promised me he will treat you well I know this man better than you. I can’t give him the benefit of the doubt. But I will leave a back door open for you. If one day, he disappoints you, you can come back. The studio is always open for you. Except if I am dead, I will always be there. Ok?”

Jiang Tiao burst into tears. She choked, “Master…...can I hug you?”

Four years. Life doesn’t exceed around a hundred years. How many more four years can there be. In their years as master and apprentice, she has never been close to him as now.

Now that they are close to separating, Jiang Tiao suddenly wants to make this request.

“I’m not interested in a woman’s body.” Yuan Yang looked out the window as if to avoid his apprentice’s hug.

Yuan Yang extremely dislikes this type of emotional scene. Twenty years ago, there was a person, who before breaking up with him, also wanted a hug.

He refused.

Will a hug make one want to stay? This kindness before leaving will only bring more sadness.

He’d always had a strong and defiant appearance but his heart is in fact soft.

That year, if he hugged him, would he not leave.

Thinking about this, Yuan Yang turned, grabbed his apprentice’s shoulder, and hugged her.

Only when the heat from his eyes dwindled did he let go and said, “You’ve got your hug now, count it as a blessing? You have to do well in the future. There will be no one to wipe your butt.”

“En.” Jiang Tiao answered as if she had made her final decision.

For a moment, the light outside the window gradually became stronger.

The brightly shining white winter sun has a unique way of stinging the eye.

As time approaches, more and more people got on the bus. Many of Jiang Tiao’s colleagues greeted her when they saw her.

She also replied back to them one by one, acting no different from usual. Only nobody knows, after this month, she will be leaving and starting a new journey in her life.

Eight years ago, Jiang Tiao left her parents and went to the north to study. After graduating, she was fortunate enough to have a great master to teach her. While she was running errands all over the place, she is able to study and practice. Now, she was able to meet a good person. In order to better her future, she needs to learn to choose her own choices.

The world is so big. We’re living and growing with each passing day but there are some times when we’re helpless.

Comments